Bakery-Style Chewy Brownies

Much like the brownies sold at your local bakery or even the “Corner Bakery” chain, these brownies are sweet and chewy with a crunchy meringue-like top.  They are great in a lunch box or as the base of a brownie sundae.

Brownies generally fall into three categories, fudgy, chewy and cakey.  Most people have a preference amongst the three.  My preference falls between fudgy and chewy depending on my mood.  These are the chewy variety, for more of a fudgy brownie, check out this recipe and for the absolute fudgiest brownie I’ve ever had, go here.

You may notice that the original recipe for this brownie describes it as “fudge-like”, but I respectfully disagree.  These semantics are sometimes difficult to convey, but I think of fudgy brownies as having almost lost their “crumb” and become more like a thick candy consistency in the center.  Chewy brownies are thicker than cake, but still have crumb.  They are chewier than cake, but not as chewy as fudge.  That probably doesn’t help at all, but there it is.

One thing is for sure, its hard to find each person’s perfect brownie.  Personal taste in brownies varies as much as personal taste in chocolate chip cookies.  This may not be my perfect brownie, but it is delicious and satisfying.

Ingredients and method make a big difference in the final result of any brownie.
The best explanation of the relation of chocolate content to brownie reslt that I’ve ever read was in Bittersweet by Deborah Jones.  This is a worthwhile book to own if you are interested in the ways of the cacao.

Bakery-Style Chewy Brownies
Adapted from a recipe for Boudin Bakery Brownies in the LA Times

• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, plus more to grease the pan
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used 72%)
  • 5 eggs
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (6.5 ounces) flour
  • 1/2 cup (3 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts

Heat the oven to 350 F degrees.  Grease a 9-by-13 inch baking pan, then line with parchment paper or aluminum foil in such a way that it overhangs the large edges by at least 2 inches.  Then grease the parchment paper.  This preparation of the pan will ensure that you can remove the brownies cleanly later.

In a double boiler (that’s a heatproof bowl perched on top of a sauce pan with a little simmering water in the bottom), melt the butter and chopped bittersweet chocolate over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and set aside.

The key to this brownies yummy chewy top is beating the eggs and sugar together for several minutes until they become very light and fall off the beater in a ribbon, so definitely don’t skip this step.

In a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.  They are done when they reach the “ribbon” stage, so called because when you lift the beater out of the eggs and sugar, the mixture will fall off like a ribbon (see photo).

With the mixer on low speed, beat in the melted chocolate (make sure it isn’t so hot that it cooks the eggs).

Then add the salt and flour.  Mix until just combined.

Gently fold in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the center of the oven until puffed and almost set, about 45 minutes. A toothpick inserted will be slightly moist. Remove and cool to room temperature.  I wanted to cool mine down especially fast, so I stuck it in what was left of the snow in my front yard, nature’s ice bath.

When the brownies are cool, use the parchment to remove them from the pan and cut into squares.

1. I have just finished baking a batch of brownies – the more cakey type, and I received your e-mail with this recipe…. I shall have to try it tomorrow. Any excuse for more brownies. No-one is complaining. I love your photos. Especially the close ups. Thanks

2. These look seriously delicious. I can’t wait to try them. Thanx for sharing ;)

3. YUM!!! Homemade Brownies are so much better than any of those mixes! :D I love that you used Walnuts in your Brownies!!! They are one of my favorites! :D

xoxox
    Kathleen

4. I just love the perfectly crinkly top! My favorite brownie recipe, from King Arthur, also gives that effect. Yours look incredible!

5. These look amazing!!! I have been searching for THE brownie recipe, and I’m thinking this might be it. I can’t wait to try it! =)

6. I’ve been trying to find a good chewy brownie recipe without much success. I can’t wait to try this out. Thanks for the tip on the eggs needing to ribbon.

• I hope these are what you are looking for, just take care not to overbake them. That is the road to cakey dry brownies. Gook luck!

7. I am so impressed with how perfect these look…the perfect brownie top! I’m a fudgy/chewy brownie kinda girl.

8. These are the BEST brownies I have ever eaten in my entire life. I made a pan to take to work and it was unanimous– the best brownies hands down! I even made them dairy-free and no one could tell. Amazing!

9. I tried this recipe a few months ago; and yes ! without a doubt: the Best “bakery
    style chewy wonderful ~ meringue style” > I have found. Wow, any serious brownie lover will fall
    in love with these. * Recently, I have wanted to give this recipe a slight make over * I’d like to use
    low gylcemic coconut sugar & substitute 1/2 of the flour with “almond flour meal”. Just
    not sure if the coconut sugar & eggs = will become “ribbon” like after beating ..? Not, sure what to do; but, hoping I can still use this great recipe with a slight make-over.

Do you have any suggestions . . . ?

• Hi Susan,

I’m not that familiar with Coconut Sugar. I think that it could very well work. I say give it a try and let me know. :)

Best,
      Heather

1. What is the colour of ‘comfort food’? « . - [...] take a look at my recipe book in the Recipes page to the right.You might also enjoy this recipe …
  2. What is the colour of 'comfort food'? - The Purple Calabash - […] I have been wondering how to approach my little expose on comfort foods and stumbled upon this “exactly what …
  3. Bakery-Style Chewy Brownies | Making Life Delicious ™ | Staying Focused Everyday - […] Bakery-Style Chewy Brownies | Making Life Delicious ™. […]